Factory Service Manual, NEW STUFF

Talk about Forum Improvements or anything about the forums.
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Factory Service Manual, NEW STUFF

Post by Neu »

Well not really new, but some new interested ways to look at it.

I have converted the full manual to HTML. It's pretty awesome, I didn't think it'd look that nice in the long run.

Anyway, the full PDF and full html are available at http://www.tercel4wd.com/fsm

To view the HTML version find the index page, I'll make it easier when it's all done uploading.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Factory Service Manual, NEW STUFF

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Great ! Thanks !
How about making it (or this thread) a sticky in Repair Guides?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Neu
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Neu »

Good idea.

I'll add a link on the top of the page too.
bobbmeek
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4WD

Post by bobbmeek »

How do I access the check codes?I think that the previous owners may have disabled it.
Thanx
Also does anyone have any idea where to download a 1983 SR5 4WD FSM?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

hey bobb. when you say 'check codes,' do you mean diagnostic codes? if so, our cars don't have them, thank god. one of the models (i think the one with the CA emissions package but i'm not sure) had an emissions control computer but i haven't seen anyone on this forum mention it or even know where it's physically located on the car. with 4WD tercels, it comes down to old fashioned sleuthing to figure out probs. search the forums for the probs or symptoms you're experiencing and if you can't find anything, post a new thread with those things and the community will surely be able to help you out.

you can access the FSM at the top of every page here. it's for an '85 but all models from '83-'88 are virtually identical except for different gear ratios ('83-'84 were 3.73, '85-'88 were 4.1), composite headlights on the '87s and '88s, and some changes in the trim, so the FSM here will work for you. you could at one time download the pdf but i'm not sure what happened to that option. chad?

most importantly though: groovy COC logo in your avatar. i'm a big fan.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Well - I am lost here...I downloaded the manual some years ago as a PDF and refer to it frequently. While I have a real Toy paper FSM, this is frequently easier - and I can enlarge the pages for these aging eyes...
I WAS going to suggest typing in http://www.tercel4wd.com, which used to be the first page of the site and d/l it as a PDF from there - but when I do it now, it takes me to the Forum listing page. Dunno if that happens to all of us or just moi. That old (?) front page had some interesting listings.
I left and right-clicked on the link at the top of the pages and tried evverthang I could think of to save it, but kept coming up with jibber-jabber.
Neu - Help!
Tom M.

P.S. To bobbmeek - Welcome to the Club! Where are you located?
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Neu
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Neu »

ARCHINSTL wrote:Well - I am lost here...I downloaded the manual some years ago as a PDF and refer to it frequently. While I have a real Toy paper FSM, this is frequently easier - and I can enlarge the pages for these aging eyes...
I WAS going to suggest typing in http://www.tercel4wd.com, which used to be the first page of the site and d/l it as a PDF from there - but when I do it now, it takes me to the Forum listing page. Dunno if that happens to all of us or just moi. That old (?) front page had some interesting listings.
I left and right-clicked on the link at the top of the pages and tried evverthang I could think of to save it, but kept coming up with jibber-jabber.
Neu - Help!
Tom M.

P.S. To bobbmeek - Welcome to the Club! Where are you located?

Thanks for reminding me that I need to redo all those links. The Vac diagrams, the two different FSM versions (full pdf download, html in browser view) and the magazines.
Kapteinmoby
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 87 (85 look) Tercel 4wd wagon, 85 Tercel wagon 4WD (Blå), 85 Tercel wagon 4WD Amfibious (Tvillingen) previous: 86 Tercel wagon 4WD

Post by Kapteinmoby »

hey, i downloaded the FSM(complete verson) but i cant find my car on some places(i'm norwegian), for exemple on the vacum line overview and the ig timer is different to mine. why is this? cind'a hard to check the vaclines for faulties and check the timing when its not right :P
i have a tercel 4wd wagon(AL25LG-ZWFDSW) 3a-c undercarrige number: JT1W0AL2500168759 first registrated 1985 08 february
Current: 87 Tercel 4wd wagon, 98 Toyota avensis 1,6 4a-fe, 85 Tercel wagon 4WD amfibious (tvillingen)

Former: 85 Tercel wagon 4WD (Blå), 86 Tercel wagon 4WD 87 Opel Corsa A 1.3, 84-88 Toyota Carina II 1.8, 93 Opel Vectra A 2.0 and 68 Mercedes-Benz E 200.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

there were lots of different emissions packages and the manual you downloaded is for '85 north american models. i guess you had different emissions as well so you can either figure out which emissions stuff you share with us and use the manual to check that stuff or you can track down the norwegian emissions info, though i have no idea where you'd find it.

how is your ignition timing different? does your distributor have points that need to be set? that's all i can think of, and you would still set the timing the same way--set to 5* BTDC with no vacuum advance.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I am pretty sure I have seen pics of the Euro model and they have a distributor set-up with a separate coil and ingitor (likely the same as in the Celica, truck, etc.). from the picture however it appears to use the same carb and much the same vacuum equipment.

finding a vacuum leak is easy with a can of carb cleaner spray, with the car running spray it on all the vac lines and vac operated componets. When you spray it in one particular spot and the engine speed changed (usually drops off), you found where the leak is located. Also check TVSV, vac advance, brake booster, etc. for internal leaks. Good luck
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Kapteinmoby
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 87 (85 look) Tercel 4wd wagon, 85 Tercel wagon 4WD (Blå), 85 Tercel wagon 4WD Amfibious (Tvillingen) previous: 86 Tercel wagon 4WD

Post by Kapteinmoby »

i think the timing is the same, but the distributor is not the same(five high tension cordes oute, one for the coil) and also i only can find one vac hose from the distributor. and why must i remove the vac hose when i adjust the timing? i have lost all hope of a FSM for europe, i did serch X hours to find the one i got now, and i had to by it! that was before i joined this GREAT forum :D :D
Current: 87 Tercel 4wd wagon, 98 Toyota avensis 1,6 4a-fe, 85 Tercel wagon 4WD amfibious (tvillingen)

Former: 85 Tercel wagon 4WD (Blå), 86 Tercel wagon 4WD 87 Opel Corsa A 1.3, 84-88 Toyota Carina II 1.8, 93 Opel Vectra A 2.0 and 68 Mercedes-Benz E 200.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

since you only have one vac line from your dizzy, you may not have to disconnect to set the timing: it depends if it's going to manifold or ported vacuum. here's how to check:

let the car warm up and idle, then unplug that vac line. if the idle drops and the engine runs a bit rougher, the line is connected to manifold vac and should be disconnected when setting the timing.

if you unplug the line and nothing happens, it is connected to ported vac and does not affect idle, and does not need to be disconnected when setting the timing.

make sure your idle speed is around 900 rpm when setting the timing.
Kapteinmoby
Advanced Member

Post by Kapteinmoby »

thanks that was very helpfull info :D

dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i'm at work and wanted to print a big chunk of the manual out but could only do it in single pages using the FSM link at the top of each page. i did some digging, found this thread again, clicked the link in neu's first post, then clicked on the '1985T4WD.pdf' link, and voila, i had the PDF version. thought i'd mention it just in case anyone was looking for the same thing.

to make it even easier, here's the direct link to the PDF version of the FSM. give it a minute or two to fully load.

http://www.tercel4wd.com/fsm/1985T4WD.pdf
Neu
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Neu »

Sorry about that. There used to be two links on the top of the page, one for the html and one for the pdf version.