We're back!

Talk about Forum Improvements or anything about the forums.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

We're back!

Post by rer233 »

Good to see we're up and runnin' again! (I think.)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

We're back?

Post by irowiki »

Looking kinda good so far, but why are we not on phpbb 3.1 yet? 3.1 was just released and solves a lot of problems 3.0 had.
https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/

So who actually owns this now? There are no new admins.

There's a few broken things I've noticed so far:

some sort of phone friendly theme ( it is in phpbb 3.1 now anyway)
Some users can't log in and are getting mysql errors

All link fixing can also be done with mod rewrite.

more as I notice them
Last edited by irowiki on Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:58 am, edited 8 times in total.
john
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 85 toy tercel 2wd wagon (formerly a 4wd automatic)

Re: We're back?

Post by john »

I missed this site and my tercel bros. john
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Yes, back, sort of...

a list member on his own managed to reach Neu and convinced him to turn over the data base. This member placed it here to make it available, and was willing to spend some time to make it usable, but needs some help.

anyone with the skills and time to maintain this site is welcome to help. I am not sure of the process, but what the moderators have talked about via emails was to ideally to make a few changes to make sure this forum, and all the valuable information in it, always stays available. Several things have to happen:

1) recruit several IT types to share the work load, people who can maintain this site and know everything necessary to keep it working. That way there is more than one person (preferably three or more) who can take over managing the forum tech support if one or more of the others become unavailable.

2) keep a current back-up data base of the forum available to this IT support team, so that way we do not risk losing all of the hard work and valuable information we have put into this forum.

3) have a moderator and IT contact list with several means of reaching the others in case of server malfunction. This is not intended to be available to everyone on the forum, but a number of key people so that the forum "management" has a way of staying informed if this forum is off line.

It would also be desirable to have one Tercel4wd forum so there is one "go to" place for our cars, so the content of the new ".org" forum can be merged together with the existing older forum. I think with these safeguards in place there is no reason for the forum to become unavailable except for short periods for maintenance and repairs.

Those with the skills to help maintain this site are welcome to become part of his management team. That would include you Irowiki, and anyone else that wants to help us out. I am no way current with this technology and would not be very helpful with this responsibility, nor do I have much time to commit to it as well.

I would also like to add an idea that I have not shared with the other moderators, that we can discuss here, is if there is a way to generate some income off of this site from advertizers (something that does not cost the forum members), I would not be opposed to using any excess revenue over the cost of the hosting the site, to compensate those that take on the responsibility of maintaining the site. I for one do not mind banner ads if they help pay to maintain the site so it is free to users. Expert help should be compensated for their efforts, and this might be one way to do that and keep it free to join and participate.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Several things I noticed are"

I was going to go back and re-install the missing photos in my posts, but I found there was no way to edit an old post.

I also notice there is no "new posts" tab, this is a quick way to see what is new on the forum, it would be nice to restore that feature.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Excellent post Peter, and many of your ideas I already use at my other sites. I have extensive forum and web server back end experience. I already have a big web server that I pay for anyway for some other large sites. It runs $30 a month. I offered to Neu to host it there and was ignored.

Vienna also has experience with this stuff, especially things like themes, graphic work, html and css.

I already offered my help to imgfx via email and I'm waiting for a reply. Hopefully he replies to my email!

I don't believe in cluttering up a small site with ads, small sites just don't generate the views or clicks and it ruins the user experience. Far better to just ask the community for donation help from time to time. Even better, on a site like this you can barter tercel parts :mrgreen: A site of this size doesn't require much to run at all resource wise.

If this actually gets back up and running, it'd be an easy matter to take anything important from the new site, and then redirect the new site here. If we can't seem to make any headway here with the new ownership though, the other site will remain as an option.

I hope the attachments are actually there, and just in the wrong folder.

If this site does come back, it needs some organizational work, the repair guide section is a mess!

Oh peter, near the top left of the forum main page you should see the following links:
View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Sorry, those links do not appear on my screen. nothing like that on any page when I view it.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Oh you probably need to switch back to the old skin.

I'll find the link when I'm not on a phone

Edit: can't switch skins, added it to the list
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Amen Peter

Here's to cool head's without egos!
I'm not a computer tech or IT guy however if the admin needs assistance In any way I do have time each day to help weed out the riff raff.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Glad to see the site back. I sure missed it. I'm sure all the wrinkles will be ironed out.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

yes, I was having Tercel4wd forum withdrawal. It was like all my friends had suddenly gone away.

BTW, I can not find a way to edit any of my posts. No "edit" button shows up on my screen.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

The skin you are using is broken and is missing a lot of stuff. I'm on the old skin and everything is there... but can't switch skins yet.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

One of my favorite button's is still gone on my "skin" it's the newest post button :cry:
entrax
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd

Post by entrax »

i was relatively new to this forum by the time it went down, however I did miss it a lot. if there is a way i can help, i'd be more than willing to. also, if money is an issue for upkeeping the site, i would be more than happy to participate in some sort of donation system.