Hurt Hot and the tool to achieve it

Look around here for some great advice on getting the most out of your tools! Tips and tricks!
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Re: Hurt Hot and the tool to achieve it

Post by marlinh »

If you want to recoup any costs David, pack it along with you on your road trip and flush all the members cars you meet on your travels. I of course would expect a discount!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

that's a good point about the engine possibly being to blame for lack of heat in the coolant -- if the passages in the engine are scaled up, it will be much harder for the engine to transfer its heat to the coolant. that's a cause of overheating i never thought of before. i wanted to do the engine but i think the o-ring on the water pump bypass tube is marginal and didn't want to mess with it. another time.

also a good idea about using the 5120, then doing a chemical flush, then using the 5120 again. i guess if i get greedy for more heat, i might try this.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

an update: the dream terc suddenly started running cool all the time so i had to replace the thermostat. while i had the coolant out, i figured i may as well attack the heater core again. great results, even better heat output now. this time around, i did two things differently. first, i use a tiny air compressor which can't hold adequate pressure for long so i only blasted until the pressure got down to 75 psi, which is what the gun is set to work at -- any psi beneath that is inadequate. second, i went back and forth between the inlet and outlet of the core each time.

also nice was that being my second time using the thing, i knew how to set it up so it only took a few minutes.

i keep trying to get my friend and his t4 with lousy heat output over here but he's got some new girlfriend so he's waaaayyy too busy to work on cars with his old pals. jeez louise.