VERY Clever Thread Restorer

Look around here for some great advice on getting the most out of your tools! Tips and tricks!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

VERY Clever Thread Restorer

Post by ARCHINSTL »

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/too ... estorer.do
I found this while perusing Griot's. I've never seen one like this; it looks pretty handy since it starts from the inside threads. Pricey, at $35, but pretty cool - and it is adjustable to work on SAE as well.
Tom M.
Attachments
92201.jpg
92201.jpg (13.7 KiB) Viewed 14041 times
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Re: VERY Clever Thread Restorer

Post by takza »

The best bolts have rolled threads in the first place...not cut threads. Looks like it would work OK. I'd buy a new bolt if possible.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

it seems to me at that price you can buy a proper die set from Harbor Freight for doing proper thread restoration.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I think the idea here is that sometimes the ending threads on a bolt are too boogered for a die to get a proper purchase on the end of the bolt.
I have some nice taps and dies from the bike shop days - and the previously mentioned really handy rethreading file * from doing the front suspension.
Tom M.

* https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3267
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

I have something very similar to that from WWII. It came with a German MG34 Cleaning kit. Mine only does 18mm to 54mm with a 1mm thread tooth and I've only used it for chasing steerer tubes on bicycles. Something smaller would be great for a 4x4 tool kit. I can't really see bringing a full die set but that tool could find a home for an emergency situation.

Good find!
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

OT, but - from an MG 34 cleaning kit ? ? ?
There must be a story there...
A long, long, time ago I heard an MG 34 and its successor, the MG 42, fired in a comparison with our then-standard light equivalent, the M-1919 .30 cal.
The US MG cycled at 500+/-, the MG 34 at 800/900 and the MG 42 at an OMG 1200 rounds per minute.
If the sound of the 34 was scary, the sound of the 42 was terrifying.
I had some experience with the M-1919, but cannot imagine facing those German guns.
Glad I did not fight the Germans in WWII...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Post by larry mcgrath »

Your Snap-On tool dealer sells thread chasers (male and female) that are not so cumberson and bulkey to use and not that pricy. I have a set of SAE and metric -they look like a regular nut for bolts and a hex rod that has a tap on it for internal threads,bouth are a good investment in your tool box. Realy nice in close quarters.
suggy
My tercel:: 1984, toyota tercel, 4wd wagon, 5spd manual, stock & boring

Post by suggy »

my buddy used to have the best Snap-On thread chasers and files. Unfortunately his shop burned down with all the tools, 11 motorcycles, 2 welders, and a whole buncha memories. Honestly I haven't found any other thread chasers that compare to those.
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Thread CUTTING dies are different from thread RESTORATION dies. Obviously both can work in a pinch, but there are differences.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

The Professor wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:43 am Thread CUTTING dies are different from thread RESTORATION dies. Obviously both can work in a pinch, but there are differences.

Yes, I have heard this before, but when ever I ask at an auto parts store or a machine tool retailer, they do not know what I am talking about.

In an auto parts store they do sell these "thread chaser" tools, but they do not really have a cutting edge, and are made of relatively soft metal similar in hardness to the bolt. Like a regular nut with slots across the thread, same with the bolts. It works to clean gunk and carbon off the threads, but not clean up damage. If the threads are buggered up badly, it does not really clean them up or cut fresh surfaces very well.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)