Floor Jack -- RANT

Look around here for some great advice on getting the most out of your tools! Tips and tricks!
deejay1272
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Navy Blue Tercel Wagon SR5 4x4 now with Weber 32/36!

Floor Jack -- RANT

Post by deejay1272 »

I bought a "Team Mechanix" 2 ton floor jack at Shuck's/O'Reilly's. Came home with it, realized it was broken right out the box -- leaking hydraulic fluid. Went back, got a new, identical floor jack at the same store. It just crapped out on me after about one year of very light and infrequent use. Goes to show you what cheap f*cking parts come out of Shuck's/O'Reilly's (i.e. China) these days.

The thing has no warranty and I have no recourse after speaking on the phone with possibly the least helpful people ever. I decided that I'm forever finished with Shuck's. They've lost my business forever.

Now I'm going to shell out the $65 or so to get a Craftsmen floor jack. Well worth the extra $20 to get the guarantee if you ask me.

Anyone else had similar issues with the fools at Shuck's/O'Reilly's?
---------------------------------------------------------
Beefsteak when I'm hungry, whiskey when I'm dry
Greenbacks when I'm hard up, heaven when I die
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Floor Jack -- RANT

Post by Petros »

I stopped shopping there years ago, similar problems; about the last straw was a brand new fan belt that failed after about 7-8 min of driving. The guy said there was no warranty on belts, I showed it to him, it looked like it was cut (and the receipt to show I had only bought it hours before) to prove it was defective. He insisted there was no warranty on belts and there was not anything he could do about it, making me even more angry. The broken belt left my wife and daughter stranded on the highway.

I told him I would be embarrassed to work for a company that sold such trash and that he has to replace the belt and that I would pay for the best belt they sell. So he reluctantly credited me the cost of the standard belt to buy their premium belt that cost almost three times more. Last item I bought at that store.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Your money might be better spent finding a used jack that didn't come from China. I've got a craftsman floor jack thats at least 30 years old and is still going strong even with regular shop use. It even spent a few weeks out in the elements years ago while it was holding up my deck when the posts/footings were being fixed up.

F the Chinese when it comes to most auto parts too. Wait, make that everything else you buy too. CV axles are the only place you will find their products on my T4.

Check craigslist and local auctions. You might even find a cheap industrial grade jack that you will hand down to your children like my old craftsman was to me.

Does sears have a lifetime warranty on jacks?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Many of the folks over at the simply huge Miata site I frequent (from whence sprang the idea for our Tool Forum) swear by the "aluminum racing jack" from (drum roll) Harbor Freight! I mean, some of these guys epitomize ANAL, so if it works for them...
Dunno the model or cost, as I have a unit I bought from Home Depot 5 years ago when I got Goldie. I really scored on it, as the jack and 2 jackstands were a package at (another drum roll, please) USD35! This is Chinese-made, too, but has held up amazingly well. Of course, it's only raised Goldie and the POS mini p'up - no F-350s. Home Depot does have a warranty on its products. I know it still carries the same jack, only not as a package with the jackstands (dunno the price).
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
deejay1272
Top Notch Member

Post by deejay1272 »

splatterdog wrote:Does sears have a lifetime warranty on jacks?
I would imagine that they do. Doesn't everything with the Craftsmen name have a lifetime warranty?

I've broken a few drill bits, screwdriver heads, pliers, etc and I just walked into the store with a handful of greasy, busted tools and immediately walked away with new tools, in the wrapper. Not a bad deal if you ask me. Over the course of many years, I think Sears is the way to go for many things. Of course other things are best purchased at Harbor Freight or, for that matter, perhaps the Dollar Store! Some things are just too simple to design poorly. Example: I bought a sweet breaker bar from Harbor Freight for like 50% of what it cost at Sears.

Just sayin'
Last edited by deejay1272 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

The Craftsman floor jacks come with a 1 year warranty and you have to keep the receipt. I've seen multiple returns for the 3 ton, one for the 2 1/4 ton, and now my friend is having trouble with the handle coming off suddenly on the 4 ton "Professional" jack. Most of the returns have to do with the fact that the jack doesn't hold the car up and begins to come down slowly or it won't lift the car at all. On one of those returns the customer said that the 3 ton jack had sprayed hydraulic fluid all over him. Knowing this, I purchased a Craftsman 3 ton jack set seeing as I'm not going to give it heavy use, I will just use it once and awhile. I have not tried the jack yet, probably will do so soon.

The Craftsman hand tools have a "forever" lifetime warranty and it's a common misconception that all Craftsman products have a lifetime warranty. Drill bits have a 90 day warranty with receipt. Some stores remove the packaging and just give you the bare new tool.

You can see a more detailed description of the warranty here: http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/nb_10155 ... 39#point14
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I have a Craftsman jack that I was given to me because it leaked. Didn't notice much of a leak until one day I was using it and it just started to let down real quick...fortunately I wasn't under it. Found out it was low on fluid...so now I check it now and then. Had my head in a wheel well with no stand....got it bumped and it got my attention. I also have a Chinese wonder...think it still works but I don't use it.

MAIN THING...always have a stand under the car...at least one...preferably 2. The jacks work till they don't....
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have accumulated several of the lightweight floor jacks, all made in china I beleive, all gave up sooner or later. I had a very slow leak in one and just add fluid to it (harbor freight sell jack oil). I bought a craftsman at a garage sale for $10, it looked the same as the others but have used it heavily for a number of years now and it has held up the best. I bought one of the large all steel floor jacks at a swap meet (also a harbor freight item, likely made in China) and use that for lifting whole ends of the car. I just missed buying one of the all aluminum ones at a garage sale for $20, wish I got there just a few minutes sooner.

if you can get new seals they should be able to be rebuilt, But I have found the pivots get worn and sloppy so they are not safe to use, the car could topple sideways when the pivots are that worn.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
deejay1272
Top Notch Member

Post by deejay1272 »

Petros - you raise an interesting issue about safety (something that I don't always take seriously enough -- trying to turn this around). These places sell crap tools that are used to support massive weight in potentially risky situations. Makes me fume even more when I think about it.

I'm only 30, but I miss the days when you could buy quality things from stand-up businesses...
TominMO
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 SR5

Post by TominMO »

I'm using the HF 1.5 ton aluminum racing jack. Had it about a year. Lifted both front wheels on the Terc via the crossmember today, no issues (knock on wood). Did the same on the rear end.
1986 4WD Tercel, formerly gold, now camo
1995 Ford Aspire SE, MPG development car, shooting for 65 MPG hwy
1990 Ford Festiva, mild motor swap, HP development car
The other Tom M. in STL w/a gold 1986 SR5--from the universe where Spock has a goatee
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

I've had the HF floor jack for a few years and it works a lot better than my dad's Craftsman jack...